Pages

Tuesday 23 October 2012

Restorative Yoga:

Many yoga classes have made me feel self-conscious about my lack of balance and coordination.  I'm the one who tries to get into Tree Pose and then falls over.  And, while once in my life I was the girl on the high school cheerleading squad who could jump into the splits, I lack that flexibility as an adult triathlete.
Coach Gerardo typically puts yoga on my training schedule
once a week.  At the studio that I attend, Black Dog Yoga, I've found three yoga classes that I can appreciate:

Restorative Yoga:

 I like to think of this class as "Glorified Nap Time".  This is an hour and a half of chill music and poses held for several minutes at a time while supported by bolsters and blocks.  It's incredibly relaxing, and is great stretching after a weekend of long, challenging workouts.  The only down-side of the class is the jazz-skat version of "Smoke on the Water" that makes me want to slit my wrists.  But, at the end of this class, I feel refreshed, relaxed, and less sore than I did walking in.
Deep Stretch Yoga -- Various stretches, often uncomfortable, especially after a long week of training.  The Friday evening class definitely helps recovery.  I'm always in awe and amused to see the instructor twist herself into a pretzel while I'm definitely struggling doing just a quarter of the given stretch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger